Understanding how to measure the perfect trouser size can be quite daunting, especially with the different sizing systems across the globe. This guide is designed to help UK customers accurately determine their trouser size using the UK trouser size chart, and how to convert these sizes to US and EU standards.
Understanding the UK Trouser Sizing System
Before we delve into the specific measurements, it’s essential to understand the different sizing systems available.
- UK Trouser Sizes: For women’s trousers, the UK uses numbered sizes, typically ranging from 4 to 24 (and higher in special stores), with even numbers only.
- Waist/Length or Jeans Sizes: These sizes are based on inches and not centimetres, with trendy brands often showing the waistband and length sizes separated by a slash (28/30 for example).
- International or Alpha Sizes: This system includes a range of sizes from XS to XXXL and is used worldwide.
- Clothing/Dress Sizes: These sizes are commonly used across mainland Europe, such as size 40 for women and 50 for men. Typically, you’ll find these sizes on formal attire like smart suits.
Ladies Trousers Size Chart UK & Conversion
When it comes to women’s trousers, the sizes are typically based on the measurements of the waist and hips. In the UK, women’s sizes are usually given as dress sizes, which range from approx. 4 to 24 (and even up to 32 in some stores). However, some brands also offer trouser sizes based on waist measurements in inches.
|UK Trouser Size Women||Alpha Size||Waist Circumference (inches)||Waist Circumference (cm)||Leg Length (inches)||Leg Length (cm)|
Trouser Size Conversion for Women
|US / Internat. Size||UK Size||Euro Size||French Size||Italian Size|
Trouser Size Conversion: To convert one size into another size, first choose the trouser size you know (e.g. the UK size) and then choose the corresponding size by moving horizontally within the trouser size conversion chart.
Amazon Essentials Men's Athletic-Fit Casual Stretch Chino Trousers (Available in Big & Tall), Black, 38W / 32L
For a more comprehensive guide on the women’s sizes of various types of clothing, click here.
Men’s Trouser Size Chart UK & Conversion
Men’s trouser sizes in the UK are straightforward, as they’re based on the waist and inside leg measurements in inches. For example, a size “32/34” would indicate a waist measurement of 32 inches and an inside leg measurement of 34 inches.
|UK Trouser Size Men||Alpha Size||Waist Circumference (inches)||Waist Circumference (cm)||Leg Length (inches)||Leg Length (cm)|
Trouser Size Conversion for Men
When converting between different sizes, start by selecting the size you are familiar with (such as the UK size), then locate the corresponding size by moving horizontally across the trouser size conversion chart.
|US / Internat. Size||UK Size||Euro Size||French Size||Italian Size|
For a more comprehensive guide on the men’s sizes of various types of clothing, click here.
While this system is straightforward, it’s crucial to remember that the fit of the trousers can vary significantly depending on the style (like skinny, slim, or regular fit) and the brand.
How to Measure Yourself for Trousers
To accurately determine your trouser size, you will need to measure your waist and inside leg. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Waist: Wrap a flexible tape measure around the narrowest part of your waist, usually just above the belly button. Ensure the tape is level and not too tight or loose.
- Inside leg (inseam): Measure from the top of your inside leg (crotch) to your ankle. This measurement will determine the length of the trousers.
Remember, these measurements should be used as a guide, and it’s always a good idea to try on trousers before purchasing, as sizes can vary between different brands and styles.
Trouser Width and Length in W/L inch
American sizes have one drawback for UK customers: they are based on inches. Well-known manufacturers provide two measurements for trousers: the waistband measurement, ranging from 26 to 48 inches, and the stride length measurement, ranging from 30 to 36 inches. This allows you to find trousers that fit your physique. The waistband size is indicated with a “W” (e.g., W 25 for women’s jeans). Men’s trousers start at W 28 and go up to W 40. Leg lengths range from 30 inches (L 30) to 36 inches (L 36), with some intermediate sizes available. The combination of two numbers on the trousers represents the waistband width and stride length. To convert sizes to the metric system, use a conversion factor of 2.54 (one inch equals 2.54 centimetres).
Find a comprehensive size guide for Asian Clothing Sizes here.
These cutting forms are available
One criterion with which to classify different types of trousers is the cut. Regarding length, they can be distinguished among long trousers, 7/8 and 3/4 trousers, as well as shorts and hot trousers. In addition, trousers are differentiated according to how wide they are, what leg shape they have, or how high the waistband is. This is how, for example, trousers with a rather low waistband are called hipsters, and pants with a very high waistband are called High Waist Pants.
So-called Baggy trousers are wide cut, with a waistband that sits under the hip. Baggy pants and Cargo pants have a similar cut, but Cargo trousers do not sit below the waist.
Leggings, Treggings, stirrup trousers as well as drainpipe trousers, skinny jeans, Capri trousers and hot trousers have a rather narrow cut.
While Capri trousers reach the middle of the calves and are usually slightly slit at the sides, hot trousers are narrow, tight shorts.
Flared trousers are among the models with a narrow top and wide bottom, which are also often called Trumpet trousers because of their trumpet-like shape.
At a Glance
- To determine your trousers size, you need to measure your (1) waistband (W) and (2) leg or step length (L).
- Trousers sizes in the U.S. are typically labelled as W(x)/L(y) (e.g., W34/L32 or 34/32). To get the corresponding UK or EU size, you need to refer to an international size conversion chart.
- The waistband is always measured at the narrowest point of the body, namely the waist. For the trousers length (inseam), measure the inside of the leg, from the crotch all the way down at the level of the ankle or foot. Record values in inches and centimetres.
- Trousers sizes vary between the different brands and cuts. Today, no clear standards are available, which is why it’s better to refer to the specific size charts of each brand to find trousers that fit you best.
Size 14 waist in inches
For example, a size 14 waist in inches would typically measure around 32 inches. However, because women’s bodies can vary significantly in shape and proportions, it’s essential to check our trouser size charts to find the most accurate fit.
Trousers Size Chart
The UK trouser size chart follows a measurement-based system for both men and women. However, there is a difference in the way sizes are labelled. Men’s trouser sizes are typically indicated by the waist measurement in inches (e.g., size 32 corresponds to a 32-inch waist), while women’s trouser sizes may be labelled with a number followed by a letter to indicate the waist and hip measurements (e.g., size 10S for a 10-inch waist and shorter length).