What size pants am I? Fortunately, we have the answer. Simply use our women and men pants size and size conversion charts and straightforward pant sizing guide to complete your quest for the perfect-size pants. Discover how the width-times-length (W/L) sizing system works.
Or use our pant size conversion tools to translate men’s sizes into women’s and vice versa. You can even find your international size. Our array of online tools answers all your pants-sizing-related questions—except maybe whether SpongeBob’s were really square.
Men’s Pants Size Chart (Waist)
The most-sold pants size in the US is an L (large), or 34 x 32”, fitting guys who are 5’10 to 6’0 and weigh in at between 179 lbs. and 192 lbs.
|Your Waist in Inches||US Pant Size||International Size|
|26 - 27"||26||XXS|
|27 - 28"||27||XS|
|28 - 29"||28||XS|
|29 - 30"||29||S|
|30 - 31"||30||S|
|31 - 32"||31||M|
|32 - 33"||32||M|
|33 - 34"||33||M/L|
|34 - 35"||34||L|
|35 - 36"||35||L|
|36 - 37"||36||XL|
|38 - 39"||38||XL|
|40 - 41"||40||XXL|
|42 - 43"||42||XXL|
|44 - 45"||44||XXXL|
|46 - 47"||46||XXXL|
|48 - 49"||48||XXXL|
|50 - 51"||50||4XL|
Men’s Pants Sizing (Length)
This table shows the size of pants in leg length by inches and in alpha size needed by men falling in the height range listed in the left-hand column. For example, men from 6 feet in height all the way up to 6’4” will generally need pants with a 34” inch leg length or in a size Extra Large.
|Your Body Height||Men's Pants Length in Inches||Pant Size Length|
|5'6" - 5'8"||30||Short|
|5'8" - 6'||32||Medium|
|6' - 6'4"||34||Long/Large|
|6'4" - 6'6"||36||XL/Extra Long|
|6'6" - 6'8"||38||XXL|
Women’s Pant Size Conversion Chart – Width/Waist
|Your Waist in Inches||Misses Size||Pant Size (W/L)||International Size|
|23 - 25"||00||23/24||XXS|
|25 - 26"||0||25||XXS|
|26 - 27"||2||26||XS|
|27 - 28"||4||27||XS|
|28 - 29"||6||28||S|
|29 - 30"||8||29||S|
|30 - 31"||10||30||M|
|31 - 32"||12||31||M|
|32 - 33"||14||32||L|
|33 - 34"||16||33||L|
|34 - 35"||18||34||XL|
|36 - 37"||20||36||XL|
|38 - 39"||22||38||XXL|
|40 - 41"||24||40||XXL|
This waist size chart helps you understand the various waist sizes used in pants, shorts, and skirts.
Women’s Pants Size Chart – Length
W is width (Waist = W ) and L stands for leg length (L = Length), a pair of pants in size 30/28 will have a waist circumference of 30 inches and a length of 28 inches. The table below indicates the alpha size and length in inches worn by women of various heights, listed in the left-hand column.
|Your Height||Length (L) of Pants in Inches||International Size|
|5'1" or smaller||28"||XS/Extra Short|
|5'2" - 5'3"||30"||S/Short/Small|
|5'4" - 5'7"||32"||M|
|5'8" or taller||34"||L/Long|
Pants: Men’s Sizes to Womens’ Sizes Converter
|Your Waist in Inches||Men's Pant Size (W/L)||Men's International Size||Women's International Size||Misses Size||Women's Pant Size (W/L)|
How to convert Mens Pants Sizes to Womens? Let’s figure out your figure—or at least your waist and inseam measurements. Remember, men’s pants are labeled with the waist size and length (inseam), while women’s pants sizes are usually indicated by numbers – 0, 4, 6, 8, 12, etc. Generally, if you only know the numerical size of your pants in women’s, you can add 21 to that number to get the closest waist measurement in men’s pants. For a size 8 in women’s, your size in men’s pants will be around 29. Still, this rule could vary from brand to brand.
How to Measure your Size for Pants?
Wrap a measuring tape around the narrowest midpoint of the body, usually at the waistline, about the level of the navel. If you measure 33.5 inches here, then round up to the next number = W 34. Your leg length (inseam) is determined by running the measuring tape along the inside of the leg, from crotch to foot sole or wherever you want your pant leg to fall to. As in your waist size, round the fractional overage up to the next number: If you measure 31.5 inches, your leg length is L 32. Your size is then W34/L32, or just 34/32. Sometimes an ‘x’ is used instead of the slash (34×32).
W/L Sizes explained
W stands for waist circumference (Waist = W) and L stands for leg length (L = Length). All pants with a size labeled in inches will include these two figures, with the waist figure followed by the length. For example, if you have a jeans size 34/32, the number 34 means you have a waist 34 inches around. The number 32 then corresponds to a leg length of 32 inches.
Pants Sizing: Cuts and Fits
Size isn’t the only thing that matters. The “fit” and “cut” also determine how well a pair of pants fits and looks:
- Skinny fit pants cling “skin-tight” to the legs and have the narrowest seat that a brand offers.
- Slim fit pants are a size larger than skinny fit, but still snugly form-fitting in the legs, hips and seat.
- Regular Fit: Sometimes called “classic” or “original,” this the traditional pants fit, with a comfy 2”-3” of play between the pants and you.
- Relaxed Fit: These are the baggiest pants a label makes. Also called “loose fit” by some brands
- Taper fit: pants may fit looser at the waist, but still feature legs that gradually tighten toward the ankles.
- Straight fit pants feature legs roughly the same width throughout their length. From a standing position, the silhouetted legs fall perpendicular to the floor.
Different cuts and fits for different women: Jeggings, Slim Fit, Skinny Fit, Boyfriend Fit, Regular, Boot Cut, Loose Fit. The height of the pants top from the crotch, called the rise, determines where the pants “sit,” or come up to on your torso. Rise also varies widely in women’s pants, encompassing the High-waisted rise, Original rise, Regular rise, Medium rise, Low rise, even a hip-hugging, Ultra Low rise.
At a Glance
- In the US, pants sizes are typically based on two measurements: waist size and inseam length. The waist size is measured in inches around the narrowest part of your waist, usually just above the belly button. The inseam length is measured from the crotch to the bottom of the pant leg on the inside.
- You can easily ascertain your waist width and leg length with a tape measure. Wrap the tape around your torso where you normally wear your pants to come up with the former, then measure your inner leg from the crotch to the sole of the foot to arrive at the latter.
- Now, there are some differences between men’s and women’s pants sizes. For men, pants sizes are usually given as waist size first, followed by the inseam length. For example, a pair of men’s pants with a 36-inch waist and 32-inch inseam would be listed as “36×32”. Women’s pants sizes, on the other hand, usually have a letter to indicate the size of the hips (e.g. S, M, L) in addition to the waist size and inseam length.
- Read product reviews if you are shopping online. Check the product reviews for pants that you’re interested in buying, paying attention to comments from people who have the same body type as you. This can give you an idea of how the pants fit and whether they run true to size or not.
- Rise and Leg Shape: The rise of a pant (the distance from the crotch to the waistband) and the shape of the leg can also affect the fit. So, consider these factors when trying on pants and make sure to try multiple sizes if needed.
- Sizes vary between brands. No clear uniform standards prevail in pants sizes throughout the fashion industry or between labels and manufacturers. Given that perturbing fact, many American brands voluntarily adopt a size standard published by the ASTM International, so you can go a long way toward finding your fit in a particular brand by starting with our charts and measuring instructions.
What does pant size 32×32 mean?
Size 32 in US: The first number is waist size in inches, the second leg length or inseam. So a 32 waist x 32 length is equivalent to M or medium. See our pant size chart for more info.
How do I know my pant size?
Circle the measuring tape around your torso and measure at the narrowest point of the body, ideally, the waist, often measured close to the navel or wherever your best fitting pants usually come to. Now refer to this pants size chart for your correct size. If you go a fraction over an even inch count, round up to the next number. Hence, if you measure 33.5 inches, then you’ll want a size W 34.
What does 34×35 mean?
This common method of measurement for pants simply indicates that the waist is 34” in circumference and the leg is 35” in length. See chart for conversion.
How do you convert a size 8 in women’s pants to men’s?
To convert women’s pants sizes to men’s, add 21 to the women’s numerical size to get the men’s waist size. So, adding 21 to a women’s 8 totals a 29” waist in men’s pants. Or eliminate the mental drudgery by simply referring to our conversion chart for men’s and women’s pants sizes.
What are the first and second numbers in pants size?
The first number in pants size is the waist: More specifically, the size of the waist measured by circumference in inches. Waist size is usually indicated with a W. For pants labeled with a waist measurement of 25, this means a pair of pants with the smallest of common waistband widths, namely, 25 inches. This extremely narrow waistband width shows up especially in women’s jeans, but can also be found among jeans for boys. Waist sizes in men’s pants generally range from W 28 to W 40.
The second number in pants is length: The leg length is also indicated in inches and is marked with an L. As in classic clothing sizes, the inner seam, or distance from crotch to floor, is measured. In principle, the length of men’s and women’s pants are no different and common sizes typically range from a length of 30 inches (L 30) to 36 inches, or L 36. Since these sizes are issued in 2-inch increments, some individual manufacturers produce pants in the intervening, odd-numbered, or intermediate, leg lengths.
If you want to convert the size to the metric system, you must use factor 2.54, because an inch is equal to 2.54 centimeters. Therefore, a pair of pants with a length of 32 inches has a leg length of 81 centimeters.
What size corresponds to women’s pants size 14?
From our women’s pant size conversion chart, you’ll find that a size 14 typically corresponds to a waist measurement of 32-33 inches. In International sizing, this is classified as Large (L).
What does a women’s pants size 12 entail?
If you’re looking at a size 12 in women’s pants on our chart, this matches a waist size of 31-32 inches. When translated to International sizing, this equates to a Medium (M).
What does a women’s pants size 6 look like?
On our chart, a size 6 in women’s pants is associated with a waist size of 28-29 inches. In terms of International sizing, this falls under the Small (S) category. See chart.
What is a pants size 8?
A size 8 in women’s pants on our site would correspond to a waist size of 29-30 inches. Internationally, this size is also classified as Small (S). Check out chart.
What size is 36-38 in women’s pants?
If your waist size falls between 36-38 inches, according to our chart, you’re likely to fit into a US size 20 or 22. This would correspond to an Extra Large (XL) or Double Extra Large (XXL) in International sizing. See chart for more info.