To help women find and convert clothing sizes in as little as a few seconds, here is a quick and comprehensive guide to all women clothing items, apparels and shoes so there will be no need to go through dozens of separate guides.
Women’s Sizes: Quick and Easy
- Women’s sizes are far more diverse than that for men and children. Aside from standard sizes, there are clothes labeled according to body type such as petite, curvy, and tall. There are also plus sizes, maternity sizes, and vanity sizing.
- To determine a woman’s clothing size, you need to take measurements of the following body parts or areas: (1) chest, (2) waist, (3) first hip or low waist, (4) hips or second hip, (5) and height.
- To measure a woman’s shoe size, the best way is to measure each foot on a piece of paper, then mark the highest point of the toe and the longest point of the heel. The distance between these two points are then measured in inches or in centimeters.
- To determine your ring size, use a thread or a dental floss, wrap it around the base of the finger that will wear the ring, mark your measurement with a pen or marker, and put it against a ruler to see how it measures in millimeters (mm). This will be the inside circumference.
- Vanity sizes (size inflation) are a common trend in fashion where a size number increases its corresponding measurement, often in an attempt to make buyers feel skinnier than what they would normally be.
Measuring Your Body
- Chest: Stand straight, with arms relaxed on your side, ask any adult at home to help you wrap the tape measure around the fullest part of your chest area. Allow a little room for movement, maximum of 1 inch. If you are buying a jacket, use this measurement and add a few inches depending on how loose you want the jacket to fit you.
- Waist: Place the tape measure around the narrowest part of your waist, usually around your belly button or a little above it.
- First Hip/Low Waist: Find the point between your hip and your waist and place the tape measure around it.
- Hips/Second Hip: Following the guide for chest measurement, make sure the tape measure is wrapped around the widest area of your hip. No need to add room for movement if you are trying to buy stretchable jeans with a close or slim fit.
- Height: Measure from your head to toe without any footwear on. You can use a door frame as a measuring point, stand up straight against it and make sure to properly mark the highest point of your head.
Women’s Clothing Size Chart (Standard)
|General Size||US Size||Chest in Inches||Waist in Inches||Hips|
Finding the right size for women is a little more tedious than men as every female differs in body shape, build and frame thus the measurements are more specialized.
The most commonly used international sizes for women are small, medium, and large, although aside from the standard sizes, there are also females that runs on plus size or petite, which may have similar sizes just like in the children size. Some clothes are labeled depending on the body type – curvy, lean or tall, while some sizes are based on female body shape – straight body type, pear-type, spoon-type, oval body type, inverted-triangle type or hourglass.There are also maternity sizes, and vanity sizing depending on the need of each female at a certain point in life.
There’s a lot of ways sizeguide for any shop to determine a woman’s clothing size available online. Once you’re done with the measurements, you’re ready to find that perfect outfit, find what you’re looking for at hsn.
Women’s Plus Sizes
|General Size||US Size||Chest in Inches||Waist in Inches||Hips in Inches|
Women’s Petite Sizes
|General Size||US Size||Chest in Inches||Waist in Inches||Hips in Inches|
Conversion to International Sizes
|International size||US size||UK size||German size||French size||Italian size|
Women’s Pants Size Charts
|Waist (Inch)||Hips (Inch)||US Size / Internat.||Euro Size||Waist (CM)||Hips (CM)|
|24 - 25||33 - 34||XXS||32||61 - 63||84 - 87|
|25 - 26||35 - 36||XS||34||64 - 66||88 - 91|
|27 - 28||37 - 38||S||36||67 - 70||92 - 95|
|28 - 29||38 - 39||S||38||71 - 74||96 - 98|
|29 - 30||39 - 40||M||40||75 - 78||99 - 101|
|31 - 32||40 - 41||M||42||79 - 82||102 - 104|
|33 - 34||41 - 42||L||44||83 - 87||105 - 108|
|35 - 37||43 - 44||L||46||88 - 93||109 - 112|
|38 - 39||44 - 45||XL||48||94 - 99||113 - 116|
|40 - 41||46 - 48||XL||50||100 - 106||117 - 121|
|42 - 43||48 - 50||XXL||52||107 - 112||122 - 126|
|44 - 46||50 - 52||XXL||54||113 - 119||127 - 132|
|47 - 49||53 - 54||3XL||56||120 - 126||133 - 138|
|50 - 52||55 - 57||3XL||58||127 - 133||139 - 144|
|53 - 55||57 - 59||4XL||60||134 - 140||145 - 150|
|56 - 58||60 - 61||4XL||62||141 - 147||151 - 156|
Use this women’s pant size conversion chart to find your american or european size. How do you read this chart? Actually its quite easy: Measure your waist and hips in inch or centimeters. Then choose the according row in the tabel. In this way its really simple to find your european pant sizes or convert from euro-size to US-american size. For example: If you have a waist of 34.5 inches, round up and go for 35 inches. Your size is a US-Size L or Euro-Size 46.
Women’s International Pants Sizes
|US / Internat. Size||UK Size||Euro Size||French Size||Italian Size|
Women Jeans Size Calculator
Women’s Jeans Sizes
|Waist (Inch)||US Jeans Size||Euro||Waist (CM)|
International Jeans Size Conversion
|Waist (Inch)||Length (Inch)||US / Internat.||Euro||Waist (CM)||Hips (CM)|
|25||32||25/32||32||61 - 63||84 - 87|
|26||32||26/32||34||64 - 66||88 - 91|
|27||32||27/32||34/36||66 - 68||90 - 93|
|28||32||28/32||36||67 - 70||92 - 95|
|29||32||29/32||38||71 - 74||96 - 98|
|30||32||30/32||38/40||73 - 76||98 - 99|
|31||32||31/32||40||75 - 78||99 - 101|
|32||32||32/32||40/42||77 - 80||101 - 102|
|33||32||33/32||42||79 - 82||102 - 104|
|34||32||34/32||44||83 - 87||105 - 108|
|35||32||35/32||44/46||86 - 90||107 - 110|
|36||32||36/32||46||88 - 93||109 - 112|
|37||32||37/32||46/48||91 - 96||111 - 114|
|38||32||38/32||48||94 - 99||113 - 116|
|37||32||39/32||48/50||97 - 103||115 - 118|
|40||32||40/32||50||100 - 106||117 - 121|
Women’s Shirt and Sweater Sizes
|US / Internat. Size||UK Size||Euro Size||French Size||Italian Size|
Women’s Jackets Sizes
|Chest width (inch)||Hip width (inch)||US size||European clothing size||Chest width (cm)||Hip width (cm)|
|29 - 30||33 - 34||XXS||32||74 - 77||84 - 87|
|31 - 32||35 - 36||XS||34||78 - 81||88 - 91|
|32 - 33||36 - 37||S||36||82 - 85||92 - 95|
|33 - 34||37 - 38||M||38||86 - 89||96 - 98|
|34 - 36||39 - 40||L||40||90 - 93||99 - 101|
|37 - 38||40 - 41||L||42||94 - 97||102 - 104|
|38 - 39||41 - 42||XL||44||98 - 102||105 - 108|
|40 - 41||43 - 44||XL||46||103 - 107||109 - 112|
|42 - 43||45 - 46||XXL||48||108 - 113||113 - 116|
|44 - 46||47 - 48||XXL||50||114 - 119||117 - 121|
|47 - 48||48 - 49||3XL||52||120 - 125||122 - 126|
|49 - 50||50 - 51||3XL||54||126 - 131||127 - 132|
|50 - 52||52 - 53||4XL||56||132 - 137||133 - 138|
|53 - 54||54 - 55||4XL||58||138 - 143||139 - 144|
|55 - 57||56 - 58||5XL||60||144 - 149||145 - 150|
|58 - 60||59 - 60||5XL||62||150 - 155||151 - 156|
Women’s Bra Sizes
Finding the right bra size is another complicated matter for women’s clothing, but thanks to more modern brands, bra sizes today can cover more diverse measurements as for how it should be. To find your body size (the number on a bra size) and cup size (the letter/s on a bra size), follow this guide.
Some brands use different panty sizes, as outlined in the table below.
|Waist in Inches||Hips in Inches||US Panty||US Dress||US Alpha|
Women’s Shoe Sizes
|Inch||UK Shoe Size||US Shoe Size||Euro Shoe Size||French Shoe Size||Italian Shoe Size|
Measuring Your Shoe Size: To make it easier, trace your foot on a piece of paper, then mark the highest point of the toe and the longest point of the heel, and measure between these two points in inches or centimeter. Find out, how to measure your shoe size here.
Women’s Ring Sizes
To find your ring size, use a thread or a dental floss, wrap it around the base of the finger that will wear the ring, mark your measurement with a pen or marker, and put it against a ruler to see how it measures in millimeters(mm), which will be the inside circumference. The inside diameter will be the top to bottom measurement of a ring that already fits you. Use this converter to get your ring size.
Although a woman’s belly increases throughout the pregnancy, maternity sizes go by a woman’s non-pregnant size, with expandable waists and loose tops to make room for the growing size.
|XS||Bust in Inches||Under Bust in Inches||Hip in Iches||Thigh|
|S||85 - 90||70 - 75||90 - 95||54 - 57|
|M||91 - 96||76 - 81||96 - 101||58 - 61|
|L||97 - 102||82 - 87||102 - 107||62 - 65|
|XL||103 - 108||88 - 93||108 - 113||66 -69|
|2XL||109 - 114||94 - 99||114 - 119||70 - 73|
|3XL||115 - 120||100 - 105||120 - 125||74 - 77|
What is Vanity Sizing?
Technically referred to a size inflation, vanity sizes are a common trend in fashion where a size number increases its corresponding measurement, often in an attempt to make buyers feel skinnier than what they would normally be. If anything, this also shows how clothing sizes have changed through the years. To avoid being confused by this trend, keep in mind the following tips especially if you are buying online:
- Always check the online store’s size guide
- Read product reviews, comments, and ratings
- Make sure to read all product information and details
- Talk to the seller if possible
Are there clothing sizes based on height and weight?
As you would have guessed by now, this would be impossible because of the high diversity of women’s sizes when it comes to dimensions. To put it simply, a specific weight can come in different heights and body types, making it complicated, and even if you manage to match a height and weight, the body measurements can be entirely different from one person to another. If you want to ensure proper fit, always go by your specific body measurements.
Can we really rely on clothing sizes?
Doesn’t that outfit look perfect on the mannequin? But wait, you try it on yourself and you only get disappointed! Any woman can definitely relate to this shopping experience. Now imagine shopping online where the challenge in finding that perfect fit is doubled since one can only rely on photos and online information before deciding on a purchase. Another factor to consider is that online shops vary in sizes depending on their location, with many stores even using their own measurements that go beyond the usual “Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large” sizes, which is why consumers must be very careful when it comes to buying clothes.
Those on the extreme sides of the standard measurements will often find themselves questioning possibly every guide available out there. Published sizes can be really confusing especially if you are looking at a size guide that you are not familiar with, so it will always help to keep your updated sizes handy and compare it against the chart you are looking at. Keep in mind that you should also adjust your body measurements depending on the type of fit you want. While we may all have an idea how clothing sizes are determined, it will still pay to be extra meticulous if you want to reduce or eliminate the chances of having to return that item you purchased online.
Dressing for Your Body Type
- Tall – if you stand 5’8” or above, you are most likely to find a good fit in the “Tall Section” especially if you are buying bottoms like jeans, trousers, and skirts.
- Petite – for heights 5’3” and below, the “Petite Section” is a good place to shop from whether you are buying dresses or tops and bottoms.
- Curvy – the “Curvy Section” ideally caters to women whose waist measurements are at least 7 inches smaller than their chest measurements, and hip measurement that are 10 inches or more greater than their waistline.
- Plus Size – this term may vary per country, but in general, this refers to those above the sizes 10 and XL, although some brands often use the term “curvy” as well to avoid sounding offensive. Not all brands carry plus sizes, so if you fall on the larger size of the chart, keep an eye on brands that offer plus sizes.
To help you find that perfect fit whether buying online or not, you can refer to the guides below, created for each clothing type, jut convert as needed from the standard table above. For dresses, sweaters, and suits, you can use the table above as well.
Tips to find the right clothing size
Tip 1: Measurements
It is best to take the trouble to measure your body measurements with a tape measure. are decisive: Chest, underbust, waist and hips including buttocks. The neck circumference is still interesting for men. Write down your values and put the note in your wallet for your next purchase. Most sellers should be able to do this and advise you accordingly.
Tip 2: Manufacturer tables
When shopping online, it turned out that many manufacturers and brands have their own measurements. The corresponding tables are often offered in the online shops to click on. Use them to make sure! If you are shopping in a store of the same brand, printing this table can be helpful.
Tip 3: Read ratings
Also often useful: the comments and ratings of other online shoppers on a garment. Many people state in their ratings whether the garment has fitted as expected, or whether they recommend a number smaller or larger to others. You can also often find references to quality and material in the evaluations.
Tip 4: Your figure type
In addition to body dimensions, the figure type is also relevant: Some have narrow shoulders, others have a slender waist and the next one has a wider pelvis. Look out for brands or cuts that cater to your figure type.
- Figure type H
Upper and lower body are the same width or narrow, barely waist
With this type of figure, you should take care to emphasize your femininity and create unavailable curves visually through clothing. For example with highly waisted, flared skirts or waist belt. Statement chains and generally jewellery can also help.
- Figure type V
Wider shoulders, the body becomes narrower towards the bottom
In the case of sporty shoulders, one should take a back seat and emphasize the slender legs and cuffs. Unicoloured tops with V-neck create a good balance. Trousers and skirts may gladly stand in the focus and show off with colours and patterns.
- Figure type X
Shoulders and hips are equally wide, narrow waist
The most feminine of all figure types should skillfully stage his curves. For example, with narrow pencil skirts, high waistbands and waisted tops. However, the clothes should definitely fit well to achieve the wow effect.
- Figure type O
The center of the body is slightly wider than the rest
If you are rather roundish and would like to conceal this, it is best to wear long blazers or longer cardigans, combined with slender trousers and skirts. A V-neck is more flattering than a round neck. Basically it should be a bit purer, rather wear darker colours on the stomach and than trousers. Patterns and colours rather “outside” than jacket or cloth. Even long chains are good for stretching.
- Figure type A
Top narrow, wider hips
A clever choice of clothes can make this type of figure look more balanced: The slender upper body and shoulders can be accentuated by eye-catching tops, colours or patterns, shoulder flaps or shawls, while the legs and hips can be set to more subdued colours. Straight trousers and skirt cuts stretch optically.
Pro Tip: For quick conversions, always keep updated measurements as close to your body as possible without any clothes in the way. Keep this information handy by saving it on your phone or securing it inside your wallet.