Jeans Sizes: On this site, you find a jeans size guide to measure your jeans size and many easy to use jeans size charts for US, European and International sizes. Plus a calculator for size conversion. Size chart for women’s jeans sizes and men’s jeans sizes. Plus a lot of info on the different style and cuts.
Jeans Size Guide: How to Measure Your Size
Measuring your jeans size is a piece of cake. With this jeans size guide, you will quickly be wearing a perfectly fitting pair of jeans. You can either read through the quick summary on the image below or use the more comprehensive jeans size guide below the image.
Levi's Men's 514 Straight Jeans, Stonewash Stretch T2, 34W / 32L
Generally, there are two ways how to measure your jeans size (waist and length), the first one being the precise and easier one:
- Measure an existing pair of trousers: Pick up a pair of trousers that fit you really well and take measurements with a measuring tape. The width of the jeans is measured at the upper corner of the trousers waistband. For this purpose, a measuring tape is applied and measured from left to right – that is how you get the trousers width. Note down the number, e.g. 34. To measure the length of the jeans, hold the tape to the inner seam of the jeans. Start at one end, at the cut for example, and measure to the bottom corner of the trousers. Note down the number, e.g. 32. Your jeans size is 34/32.
- Taking body measurements: Another way to measure the jeans size is by taking body measurements and calculating the trousers size. It is important, however, that it is also measured in the right place. The waistband is always measured at the narrowest point of the body, namely the waist. However, if you are looking for a pair of low-rise trousers, such as hipsters, the widest part of the body must be measured: at the top of your buttocks. If you are looking for the length of the jeans, you have to measure the inside of the leg. If you wear trousers longer or regularly wear very high-heeled shoes, then measure all the way down to the bottom of the heel. If the jeans are to stop at the level of the shoes or the ankle, this length is reduced.
Difference between Jeans Size and Trouser Size
You have probably already noticed that there are very different measuring systems for trousers:
- Jeans Sizes (width and length in inches, e.g. 34/32)
- US Standard Trouser Sizes (XS to XXXL)
- European Trouser Sizes (32 – 54)
Jeans Size Charts for Men
In this jeans size conversion chart, you will find an overview of sizes for men and boys. You can measure them and determine the size, or you can easily check which jeans size corresponds to your clothing size.
|Waist (Inch)||Length (Inch)||US / Internat.||Euro||Waist (CM)||Length (CM)|
|28||30||28/30||40||70 - 72||76|
|29||30||29/30||42||73 - 75||76|
|30||32||30/32||44||75 - 77||81|
|32||32||32/32||46||80 - 82||81|
|33||32||33/32||48||83 - 85||81|
|34||32||34/32||50||85 - 87||81|
|36||34||36/34||52||90 - 92||86|
|38||34||38/34||54||93 - 98||86|
|40||34||40/34||56||99 - 105||86|
|42||34||42/34||58||105 - 110||86|
|44||34||44/34||60||110 - 113||86|
(For a more comprehensive guide on the men’s sizes of various types of clothing, click here.)
Jeans Size Charts for Women
In this chart, you will find an overview of jeans sizes for women and girls. You can measure them and determine the size, or you can easily check which jeans size corresponds to your clothing size.
|Waist (Inch)||US Jeans Size||Euro||Waist (CM)|
|Waist (Inch)||Length (Inch)||US / Internat.||Euro||Waist (CM)||Hips (CM)|
|25||32||25/32||32||61 - 63||84 - 87|
|26||32||26/32||34||64 - 66||88 - 91|
|27||32||27/32||34/36||66 - 68||90 - 93|
|28||32||28/32||36||67 - 70||92 - 95|
|29||32||29/32||38||71 - 74||96 - 98|
|30||32||30/32||38/40||73 - 76||98 - 99|
|31||32||31/32||40||75 - 78||99 - 101|
|32||32||32/32||40/42||77 - 80||101 - 102|
|33||32||33/32||42||79 - 82||102 - 104|
|34||32||34/32||44||83 - 87||105 - 108|
|35||32||35/32||44/46||86 - 90||107 - 110|
|36||32||36/32||46||88 - 93||109 - 112|
|37||32||37/32||46/48||91 - 96||111 - 114|
|38||32||38/32||48||94 - 99||113 - 116|
|37||32||39/32||48/50||97 - 103||115 - 118|
|40||32||40/32||50||100 - 106||117 - 121|
(Here’s a comprehensive guide on women’s sizing for various clothes and apparel.)
Jeans Size Calculator
What size is a 30 in jeans, what a 32? Use our perfect-fit calculator to convert any waist size to the corresponding US standard jeans size.
What does the W/L abbreviation mean?
With regard to the W/L size, W stands for waist width (it comes from Waist = W ) and L stands for leg length (L = Length). Each size that is labeled in inches includes these two figures. For example, if you have a jean 36/32, the number 36 means that you have a waist width of 36 inches. The number 32 then corresponds to a leg length of 32 inches. 1 inch corresponds to 2.54 cm.
Before measuring, take a pair that fits you well and place them flat on the floor. Fasten the front button before measuring. To calculate the width of your waistband, measure the upper corner of the waistband from left to right. For leg length, the inner jeans length from the stride length to the lower corner of the jeans is measured, i.e. from the gusset to the hem. Enter the results into the jeans calculator.
How accurate are Jeans Sizes?
If you enter the body measurements into the size calculator, you will get the measurement in inches. These are, of course, only indicative values. Just as the shape of jeans can differ (for example Slim Fit, Regular Fit, Comfort Fit…), so can many waistlines (for example Low Rise, Medium Rise, High Rise…). This can considerably affect the fit of the jeans and shows that body measurements are only indications. In order to get as realistic a guideline as possible, the measurement should always be taken with jeans that fit. Trying the jeans on is, however, unavoidable if it is to fit really well in the end. You will soon learn why.
Which brands are the most famous?
Diesel, Calvin Klein, G-Star, Levi’s, Wrangler, Vanquish, Rag & Bone, Spellbound, Albam, Balmain, NN.07, Nudie Jeans, Dolce & Gabbana, ACNE Studios, APC, DSquared2, Edwin, Ermenegildo Zegna, RRL, Lee, Lucky Brand Jeans, 7 For All Mankind, True Religion, Guess
The Cut Decides the Fit
The cut decides whether or not you fit in it. If the pelvis is somewhat wider or the buttock slightly larger, the cut can cause the trousers not to fit despite its correct width and length. Physical characteristics are not taken into account with jeans sizes.
The jeans calculator shown above has been designed for both women and men. For women and men, the calculator takes physical characteristics as well as the cut into account.
Cuts between women and men differ significantly: jeans for women are characterized by curves and a slightly wider hip circumference. The difference between waistband/waist circumference and hip circumference is that it is larger for women’s than for men’s jeans. Whether a pair of trousers fits a wider pelvis or not, does not decide the size alone. It depends on the right cut.
Classic Cuts and Fits
Over the decades, countless jean cuts have emerged that can be used variably, depending on how they are combined. A Loose Fit Jeans is, for example, a loose-fitting pair of jeans that are more suitable for comfortable occasions. Baggy jeans are also a wide and comfortably cut pair of denim trousers. Bootcut jeans are – as the name implies – ideal when combined with boots: narrow at the thigh and cut wide under the knee, the bootleg remains stylishly hidden underneath. Skinny jeans should be close to the skin and look sexy with high-heeled shoes, but can also be combined with ballerinas. French Cut jeans are also a type of narrow-cut jean. High Waist Jeans fit just above the waist, unlike Low Waist Jeans which fit snugly around the hips.
At a Glance
- There are two ways to measure your jeans size: (1) by measuring an existing pair of pants and (2) by taking body measurements.
- To measure your jeans size using an existing pair of pants, use a measuring tape. The width of the jeans is measured at the upper corner of the pants waistband from left to right. To measure the length of the jeans, the measuring tape is placed on the inner seam of the jeans leg, from groin to the bottom.
- There are different measuring systems for pants. For example, in the W/L size system, a jeans size of 36/32 means that you have a waist of 36 inches and leg length of 32 inches. To know your corresponding size in US, EU or UK sizing systems, you need to refer to a jean size conversion chart.
- How well a pair of jeans fit you is dependent not just in size but in the cut as well. Cuts between women and men differ significantly. Jeans for women are characterized by curves and a slightly wider hip circumference. Moreover, the difference between waist and hip circumferences is larger for women’s than men’s jeans.
- Want to find perfectly fitting shoes for your jeans?