For pants and bottoms, one of the most important measurements you’ll need to find the best pants size or jeans size is your inseam.
There are three ways to get the inseam measurement in the convenience of your home. In this guide, we will give you a comprehensive look at the things you need to know about inseam measuring. We’ve also compiled some tips to make the experience accurate and easier. It’s pretty simple, just keep reading to find out.
What is the Inseam?
The inseam is the measurement of the inner side of the pant leg. It is the length from the crotch to the hemline or the ankle. If your inseam measurement is wrong, the tendency is that your pants will be either too long or too short for you. Luckily, measuring the inseam is easy.
Inseam Measuring Explained
The inseam is the length from the top of the thigh to the ankle, usually measured from the crotch to the cuff on the inside seam of a well-fitting pair of pants. The measurement in inches, rounded to the nearest half inch, is the inseam length. Men can check the label of their pants for inseam, while women’s pants generally don’t show it. To measure inseam, you can use your existing pants or ask someone to help. For children, measuring inseam with their pants is easier, especially for active kids.
Ways To Measure the Inseam
- Check the label or tag of your pants for the inseam.
- Measure inseam by using your pants.
- Ask someone to measure your inseam.
1. Check the Tag of Existing Pants for Inseam
This technique is used to find the inseam measurement of men’s pants, since it is usually indicated in the label size.
The first number in the size on the tag represents the waist size of the pants. The second number indicates the length of the inseam. A man’s “36-34” size, for example, would mean the pants measure 36 inches around the waist and 34 inches long from the crotch area to the edge of the pants.
2. Measure Inseam Using Your Pants
Measuring the inseam is easy. First, you will need a measuring tape, a pen, and paper to jot down the measurements. You will also need the best fitting pair of pants as a guide. It will also depend on the type of pants you buy.
If you buy a pair of jeans, then you should use the pair of jeans which fit you nicely for measuring the inseam. The same rule applies to buying other types of pants. Use your perfect fitting pants, khakis, trousers, or jeans as the basis for the inseam measurement of their counterpart.
Proceed with these steps after finding the right pants to measure:
- Lay your perfect fitting pants on a flat surface. Get the pair of pants that fit you perfectly. Lay them out on a neat and even surface.
- Fold your pants in half, lengthwise. From the laid-out position, fold your pants with one pant leg over the other. Double check that they are buttoned up and make sure the pant legs are lined up, and the back side is facing up. Also, the crotch of the pants must not be inside the fold.
- Flatten your pants. For an accurate measurement, make sure your pants have no wrinkles. To ensure this, put your finger between the pant legs, then pull gently so that the crotch of the pants will not have wrinkles. Try to smooth the folded pants with your hands.
- Measure the length from the crotch to the hemline of the pants. The crotch area of the pants is the part which intersects with the seam along the pant leg. The hemline is the bottom edge of the pant leg. With a measuring tape, get the distance between the crotch and the hemline. Adjust the measurement for the hemline according to your desired length.
- Jot down your measurements. Once you’re finished with measuring the inseam of your pants, write it down on a piece of paper.
Remember: Always round up the inseam measurement to the nearest quarter inch. This will give you a slight allowance for more movement. For example, if you measured your inseam to be 34 1/8″ inseam, round it up to 34 1/4″, not the 34″ for inseam.
3. Ask Someone To Measure Your Inseam
If you cannot do it on your own, you may ask someone to help you measure your inseam. Here’s how to do it:
- Wear tight or body-hugging pants. To make sure you get the accurate measurement of the inseam, it is recommended that you wear a pair of tight pants. You can also wear leggings for the most effective results.
- Do not wear shoes or any footwear. Measuring the inseam means measuring the length of the pants from the crotch area. To ensure that you don’t add the height of the shoe to your inseam measurement, it is better to take the size while barefoot. For some pants styles, you may need to make an exception and wear the footwear you expect to with the pants.
- Stand up straight with your back flat against the wall. To get the most accurate measurement of your inseam, maintain a good posture while your inseam is being taken. Stand up straight with your back flat against the wall. Avoid unnecessary bending of the knees or other movements so as not to affect the actual inseam measurement.
- Have your inseam measured from your crotch or groin area to the desired length. The inseam measurement is the distance between the crotch and the hemline. The hemline is the bottom cuff of the pants leg.
Tips on Measuring the Inseam
- Always remember that your height does not determine your inseam. Everybody has different body proportions.
- Remember to round up the inseam measurement to the nearest quarter inch. This will give you enough allowance for movement, depending on the style of pants.
- Shoes: Add .5 or an inch to your inseam measurement if you plan on wearing high heels with your pants.
- Shrinkage: Add .5 inches to your inseam measurement if the material of the pants that you will buy tends to shrink. In general, fabric that has loose fibers are more likely to shrink more. Cotton, rayon, and wool are a few of the more popular fabrics that are more likely to shrink.
- Style: Some pants are designed to be shorter or longer like cropped pants, cargo or high waist. Knowing the style will help you determine the right length.
- There is no one rule for measuring the inseam length, as the hemline measurement will depend on personal preference. Some may opt for shorter cut pants, while other styles are longer.
How-to: Inseam Measuring
To measure inseam, stand barefoot against a wall, with your heels touching the wall. Use a flexible tape measure to measure from the top of your inner thigh down to your ankle. Make sure the tape measure is snug against your skin and parallel to the floor. Note the measurement in inches or centimeters. Check detailed guide here.
What does Inseam mean?
Inseam is the length of the inside seam of a pair of pants, from the crotch to the hem at the bottom of the pant leg. It is a key measurement for determining the correct pant size and fit, as it can affect comfort and how the pants look when worn. How to measure inseam guide.