Jean sizes vary significantly between the different brands and styles. This pages helps you find the perfect size of your pair of jeans and provides a useful how to measure guide.
How do jeans sizes work? Attention: There are three different sizing systems in the US:
- A combination of width (w) and length (L), expressed in inches, e.g. 32×30. W = width = waist circumference, L = length = length of inner leg/inseam.
- Alpha or SML sizing: XS to XL.
- For women only: US standard sizing or misses sizing, expressed as one single number, e.g. size 4.
- Men’s Jeans Sizes, Women’s Jeans Sizes, Kids’ Jeans Sizes
- How to Measure
- Conversion: International Sizes (Euro, UK, etc.)
Jeans Size Charts for Men
In this jeans size conversion chart, you will find an overview of jeans sizes for men.
|Jean Size (W)||SML Size||Waist||Hip/Seat|
Need more help? Refer to:
- Length of Jeans
- How to measure
- Large Sizes and Oversizes/Plus sizes
- Average Jeans Size for Men
- Jeans Sizes for Boys
- Cuts and Fits
- International Sizes: Euro, UK, Mexican, Asian
Men’s Jeans Size Length (Inseam)
This chart is about finding your right jeans length according to your body height. What length of jeans should a 6-foot tall man wear? The answer is: jeans’ length should be 34” inseam length.
|Body height in feet and inches||Jeans Length (L) in Inches (Inseam)||SML-Size (Length Inseam)||Body heigt in meters + centimeters|
|5'2''- 5'5''||28||XS||1,58 - 1,66|
|5'6'' - 5'7''||30||S||1,67 - 1,71|
|5'8'' - 6'0''||32||M||1,72 - 1,82|
|6'0'' - 6'4''||34||L||1,82 - 1,93|
|6'5'' - 6'6''||36||XL||1,93 - 1,98|
|6'7'' - 6'8''||38||2XL||1,98 - 2,03|
Jean Size Chart for Women
In this chart, you will find an overview of jeans sizes for women. Measure your size and then check which jeans size corresponds to your measurement/clothing size.
|Jean Size (W)||US Standard Size||SML Size||Waist||Hip|
|23||00||XXS||23.5” - 24.5”||33” - 34.5”|
|24||0||XXS||24.5” - 25.5”||34” - 35.5”|
|25/26||2||XS||25.5” - 27.5”||34.5” - 36.5”|
|27||4||XS||27.5” - 28.5”||37” - 38.5”|
|28||6||S||28.5” - 29.5”||38” - 39.5”|
|29||8||S||29.5” - 30.5”||39” - 40.5”|
|30||10||M||30.5” - 31.5”||40” - 41.5”|
|31||12||M||31.5” - 32.5”||41” - 42.5”|
|32||14||L||32.5” - 33.5”||42” - 43.5”|
|33||16||L||33.5” - 34.5”||43” - 44.5”|
|34||18||XL||34.5” - 36.5”||44.5” - 46.5”|
|36||20||XL||36.5” - 38.5”||46.5” - 48.5”|
|38||22||XXL||38.5” - 40.5”||48.5” - 50.5”|
|40||24||XXL||40.5” - 42.5”||50.5” - 52.5”|
|42||26||XXXL||42.5” - 44.5”||52.5” - 54.5”|
- Length of jeans
- How to measure
- Petite/Small Sizes or Oversizes/Plus sizes
- Average Jeans Size for Women
- Jeans Sizes for Girls
- Cuts and Fits
- International Sizes: European/UK, Mexican, Asian
Women’s Jeans Size Length (Inseam)
Find your perfect length of jeans with this jeans length guide by height. What size jeans should I wear for my height?
|Body height in feet and inches||Jeans Length (L) in Inches (Inseam)||SML-Size||Body heigt in centimeters|
|up to 5'3''||28''||XS||up to 1,60 m|
|5'4'' - 5'5''||30''||S||1,60 - 1,66 m|
|5'6'' - 5'7''||32''||M||1,66 - 1,72 m|
|5'8'' - 5'10''||34''||L||1,72 - 1,78 m|
|5'11'' and taller||36''||XL||1,78 m and taller|
How to Measure Jeans Size
Generally, there are two ways how to measure your jeans size (waist and length):
- Taking body measurements: Take a measuring tape, hold it level to your waist where you normally wear a belt, and measure around your body. Note your waist circumference, it corresponds to the width of the waistband. However, if you are looking for a pair of low-rise pants, such as hipsters, the widest part of the body must be measured: at the top of your buttocks. Then measure your inner leg length (not outside!) from groin to ankle (or wherever you want your jeans to end). If you wear pants longer or regularly wear very high-heeled shoes, then measure all the way down to the bottom of the heel. If the jeans are to stop at the level of the shoes or the ankle, this length is reduced.
- Measure an existing pair of jeans: Pick up a pair of jeans that fit you really well and take measurements with a measuring tape. The width of the jeans is measured at the upper corner of the pants waistband. For this purpose, a measuring tape is applied and measured from left to right, then double that number. E.g.: If you measure 17”, your width is 17 x 2 = 34”. To measure the length of the jeans, hold the tape to the inner seam of the jeans. Start at one end, at the cut for example, and measure to the bottom corner of the pants. Note down the number, e.g. 32. Your jeans size is 34/32.
How to convert Pants Sizes to Jeans Sizes
Men’s jeans sizes consist of two numbers: the first number is waist size, second is leg length. E.g. 34×30. Most pants sizes use the same system, but some brands use different sizes like S, M, L, or US Sizes. Refer to this chart to convert.
Women’s jeans sizes go by the same two numbers (e.g. 32×30 means waist length of 32 inches, leg length of 30 inches). But women’s pant sizes go by standard women’s waist sizes like 0, 2, 4, 6, etc or numbers like 27, 28, 29, 30, etc. Check this conversion chart.
Women Pant to Jean Size Conversion
|SML Size||US Standard Size||Jean Size (W)|
Men Pant to Jean Size Conversion
|SML Size||Jean Size (W)||Waist|
What does the W/L abbreviation for jeans sizes mean?
With regard to the W/L size, W stands for waist width (it comes from Waist = W ) and L stands for leg length (L = Length).
Each pants size that is labeled in inches includes these two figures. For example, if you have a jeans size 36/32, the number 36 means that you have a waist width of 36 inches. The number 32 then corresponds to a leg length of 32 inches. 1 inch corresponds to 2.54 cm.
Before measuring your pants, take a pair of jeans and place them flat on the floor. Fasten the front button before measuring. To calculate the width of your waistband, measure the upper corner of the waistband from left to right. For leg length, the inner jeans length from the stride length to the lower corner of the jeans is measured, i.e. from the gusset to the hem. Enter the results into the jeans calculator.
Average Jeans Size for Men in US
If you don’t have a tape measure, are buying for boyfriend/husband, and just want to go by averages, you can use the following as a guide. However, please note that these are estimates/standard values. It is always better to take exact measurements.
An average sized man wears
- very slim (XS) = 30/32 (waist/length)
- slim (S) = 32/32 (waist/length)
- normal (M) = 34/32 (waist/length)
- large size (L) = 36/32 (waist/length)
- plus size (XL) = 38/32 (waist/length)
The standard size worn by most of men in the US is a 36×32.
Average Jeans Size for Women
Whats is the average women’s jeans size in the US? According to weight and height, these are the ideal waist size for women:
An average-sized woman wears:
- extremely slim (XXS) = 26/30 (waist/length)
- very slim (XS) = 28/30 (waist/length)
- slim (S) = 30/30 (waist/length)
- average (M), but tight and low fitting = 32/30 (waist/length)
- average (M), but rather high rise/seat and comfortable fit = 34/32
- large (L)= 36/32 (waist/length)
- extra large (XL) = 38/32 (waist/length)
Most women wear a jeans size of 34×30. (waist/length).
The Jeans Cut Decides the Fit
The jeans cut decides whether or not you fit in it. If the pelvis is somewhat wider or the buttock slightly larger, the cut can cause the pants not to fit despite their correct width and length. The body shape is not taken into account with jeans sizes.
Cuts between women and men differ significantly: jeans for women are characterized by curves and a slightly wider hip circumference. The difference between waistband/waist circumference and hip circumference is that it is larger for women than for men’s jeans.
Women’s Jeans Cuts and Fits
- Skinny jeans should be close to the skin and look sexy with high-heeled shoes, but can also be combined with ballerinas.
- High Waist Jeans fit just above the waist, unlike Low Waist Jeans which fit snugly around the hips.
- Tapered fit: Tapered jeans are considered a type of skinny jeans. Tapered jeans are roomier at the top and get skinnier as they reach the ankle.
- French Cut jeans are also a type of narrow-cut jeans.
- A Loose Fit Jeans is, for example, a loose-fitting pair of jeans that are more suitable for comfortable occasions.
Men’s Jeans Cuts and Fits
The main fits/cuts in men’s jeans are
- Slim fit (designed to hug your body, can be a little uncomfortable)
- Regular fit (worn by most men, traditional fit)
- Relaxed fit (for men with strong thighs/glutes or some extra weight)
- Baggy jeans are also a wide and comfortably cut pair of denim pants.
- Bootcut jeans are – as the name implies – ideal when combined with boots: narrow at the thigh and cut wide under the knee, the bootleg remains stylishly hidden underneath.
Which Jeans brands are the most famous?
Diesel, Calvin Klein, G-Star, Levi’s, Wrangler, Vanquish, Rag & Bone, Spellbound, Albam, Balmain, NN.07, Nudie Jeans, Dolce & Gabbana, ACNE Studios, APC, DSquared2, Edwin, Ermenegildo Zegna, RRL, Lee, Lucky Brand Jeans, 7 For All Mankind, True Religion, Guess. Several pants size charts of various clothing brands are available here.
How to measure waist/hip, seat, thigh and inseam?
- Waist: Take a tape measure and measure around the smallest (!) part of your waist. Do not measure too loose, not too snug either. This measurement is taken for the width of jeans!
- Inseam: This determines the length of jeans. Measure straight down the inside (!) leg, measuring from the crotch to the ankle. Attention: Measure the inside of the leg, not the outside!
- Seat/Hip: Measure around the largest part of your hips to get the seat measurement. Keep the tape measure horizontal. Whereas the waist measurement is for the correct site of jeans, the seat measurement determines the right fit/cut (low rise, high rise, bootcut, etc.).
- Thigh: Use a tape measure and measure around the largest part of your thigh.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I measure my jean size at home?
Take a measuring tape, hold it level to your waist where you normally wear a belt and measure around your body. Note your waist circumference, it corresponds to the width of the waistband. Then measure your inner leg length (not outside!) from groin to ankle (or wherever you want your jeans to end). Use this chart to convert the measurement into size.
Another good way to figure out your size at home: Zip and button a pair of jeans that fit you really well. Lay the jeans flat on the floor, measure across the top of the waist. Double this number to get your waist measurement. Use this chart to convert or find out the correct length of jeans.
What is the difference between jeans and pants sizes?
Find an easy guide on how to measure your jeans size and convert measurements into the US, UK, Euro size, and International jean size, and a chart for pants sizes here. Use our jean size calculator to convert any standard pant size into a jeans size – for women’s jeans sizes and men’s jeans sizes.
How do I find my Size in Jeans?
Jeans sizes are based on two measurements: waist circumference (= W) and length of the leg (=L). The waist/length ratio is given in inches (in). For example: a waist size of 32 inches and leg length of 30 inches is a jeans size 32×30. Some brands also use alpha sizing like XS, S, M, L, XL, or US standard pants sizes, refer to this conversion chart
What does 32×32 mean in jeans?
32×32 means 32 inches waist and 32 inches length of jeans (inseam). Find out how to measure at home or see these jean sizing chart for men or women to find out corresponding US, UK, or international size.
What size is a 34 inch waist in women’s jeans?
A 34-inch waist corresponds to a US standard size 18 (pants size) or XL. Find out about the length of the jeans here.