Among the most comfortable garments in the history of fashion, jeans, when expertly fitted to your unique body, are also one of the most flattering. Trouble is, jeans sizes vary wildly over a galaxy of different brands and styles. Fortunately, you’ve come to the right place. Our page will help you find your perfect size pair of jeans and provide a useful how-to measuring guide.
How do jeans sizes work?
Please note: There are no less than three different sizing systems for jeans in the US:
- The most common method of sizing combines waist width (W) and leg length (L), expressed in inches and in that order, e.g., 32×30. W = waist width = waist circumference; L = leg length = length of inner leg/inseam.
- International sizing, also known as Alpha or SML sizing, which usually runs from XS (extra small) to XL (extra large).
- For women only: US standard sizing or misses sizing, is rendered as one single number, such as that perfect size 6.
- Men’s Jeans Sizes
- Women’s Jeans Sizes
- Kids’ Jeans Sizes
- Conversion: International Jean Sizes (EU, UK, etc.)
Jeans Size Charts for Men
In this conversion chart, you will find a broad spectrum of jeans sizes for men. The average size worn by most men in the US is a 36×32.
|Jean Size Men (W)||International Size||Waist (Inches)||Hip/Seat (Inches)|
Men’s Jeans Size Length (Inseam)
This chart is about finding your right jeans’ length according to your body height. What length of jeans should a 6-foot tall man wear? The answer is: jeans’ length should be 34” inseam length.
|Body height in feet and inches||Jeans Length (L) in Inches (Inseam)||SML-Size (Length Inseam)||Body heigt in meters + centimeters|
|5'2''- 5'5''||28||XS||1,58 - 1,66|
|5'6'' - 5'7''||30||S||1,67 - 1,71|
|5'8'' - 6'0''||32||M||1,72 - 1,82|
|6'0'' - 6'4''||34||L||1,82 - 1,93|
|6'5'' - 6'6''||36||XL||1,93 - 1,98|
|6'7'' - 6'8''||38||2XL||1,98 - 2,03|
Jean Size Chart for Women
This chart boasts a gamut of jeans sizes for women. Measure your size, then check which jeans size corresponds to your measurements. The average woman wears a jeans size of 34×30.
|Jean Size Women (W)||US Misses Size||International Size||Waist (Inches)||Hip (Inches)|
|23||00||XXS||23.5” - 24.5”||33” - 34.5”|
|24||0||XXS||24.5” - 25.5”||34” - 35.5”|
|25/26||2||XS||25.5” - 27.5”||34.5” - 36.5”|
|27||4||XS||27.5” - 28.5”||37” - 38.5”|
|28||6||S||28.5” - 29.5”||38” - 39.5”|
|29||8||S||29.5” - 30.5”||39” - 40.5”|
|30||10||M||30.5” - 31.5”||40” - 41.5”|
|31||12||M||31.5” - 32.5”||41” - 42.5”|
|32||14||L||32.5” - 33.5”||42” - 43.5”|
|33||16||L||33.5” - 34.5”||43” - 44.5”|
|34||18||XL||34.5” - 36.5”||44.5” - 46.5”|
|36||20||XL||36.5” - 38.5”||46.5” - 48.5”|
|38||22||XXL||38.5” - 40.5”||48.5” - 50.5”|
|40||24||XXL||40.5” - 42.5”||50.5” - 52.5”|
|42||26||XXXL||42.5” - 44.5”||52.5” - 54.5”|
Women’s Jeans Size Length (Inseam)
What size jeans should I wear for my height? Find out the perfect length for your jeans with this jeans’ length guide by height.
|Body height in feet and inches||Jeans Length (L) in Inches (Inseam)||SML-Size||Body heigt in centimeters|
|up to 5'3''||28''||XS||up to 1,60 m|
|5'4'' - 5'5''||30''||S||1,60 - 1,66 m|
|5'6'' - 5'7''||32''||M||1,66 - 1,72 m|
|5'8'' - 5'10''||34''||L||1,72 - 1,78 m|
|5'11'' and taller||36''||XL||1,78 m and taller|
Kids’ Jean Size Chart
|Kids Jeans Size||International Size||Age (years)||Waist (Inches)||Leg lenght (Inches)|
|6||S||5 to 6||23''||19 - 20''|
|7||M||6 to 7||24''||21 - 23''|
|8||M||7 to 8||24.5''||23 - 24''|
|10||L||8 to 9||25.5''||24 - 26''|
|12||XL||9 to 10||26''||26 - 28''|
|14||XL||10 to 11||27-28''||28 - 30''|
|16||XXL||11 to 12||29-30''||30 - 31''|
|18||XXXL||12 to 13||30-31''||31 - 32''|
What does the abbreviation W/L for jeans mean?
Each pants size that is labeled in inches includes these two figures, and in that order. For example, if you wear a jeans size 36/32, the number 36 means that you have a waist width of 36 inches. The number 32 then corresponds to a leg length of 32 inches.
How to Measure Jeans Size
Here’s how you can easily measure your own jeans size at home. Either of these two simple and reliable methods will yield your accurate jeans size, that is, waist width and leg length:
- Measure your body directly: Hold a measuring tape “snugly loose” and level around your waist, where you normally wear a belt. Note your waist circumference in inches; this corresponds to your waist width. However, if you are looking for a pair of low-rise pants, such as hipsters, you will want to measure at the widest part of the lower body, that is, at the broadest point of the hips or buttocks. Then measure your inner leg length (not the outside!) from crotch to ankle, or wherever you want your jeans to fall. If you usually wear your pants longer or regularly wear very high-heeled shoes, then measure all the way down to the bottom of the heel. If the jeans are to fall at the level of the shoes or the ankle, reduce the inseam measurement accordingly.
- Measure a favorite pair of jeans: Here’s another easy method of measuring your way to the perfectly fitting jeans. Pick out a pair of jeans you already own that fit you really well. Laying the jeans flat on a horizontal surface, measure the width in inches at the pants’ waistband. Now double that number, and you have the pants’ waist width. For example, if measuring across the waistband you come up with 17”, your width is 17 x 2 = 34”. To measure the length of the jeans, hold the end of the tape at the crotch, or cut, then run along the inner seam until you reach the very bottom corner of the pant leg. Note the number in inches, e.g, 32”. Your jeans size is 34/32.
Average Jean Sizes
Average Jeans Sizes for Men in US
If you don’t have a tape measure, are buying for boyfriend/husband, or just want to rely on averages: The size worn by most men in the US is a 36×32.
An average-sized man wears
- very slim (XS) = 30/32 (waist/length)
- slim (S) = 32/32 (waist/length)
- normal (M) = 34/32 (waist/length)
- large size (L) = 36/32 (waist/length)
- plus size (XL) = 38/32 (waist/length)
Average Jeans Size for Women
What is the average women’s jeans size in the US? Most women wear a jeans size of 34×30. (waist/length).
An average-sized woman wears:
- extremely slim (XXS) = 26/30 (waist/length)
- very slim (XS) = 28/30 (waist/length)
- slim (S) = 30/30 (waist/length)
- average (M), but tight and low fitting = 32/30 (waist/length)
- average (M), but rather high rise/seat and comfortable fit = 34/32
- large (L)= 36/32 (waist/length)
- extra large (XL) = 38/32 (waist/length)
Jeans Cuts and Fits and what they mean for your size
Beyond the primary W x L (width and length) dimensions, these factors will bring you even closer to your ideal denim. Fit refers to the overall contours of a garment and how tightly, or loosely, it fits at what part of the body. Cut indicates secondary adjustments to length, such as rise from crotch to waist or at the leg opening to accommodate your boots or show off your ankles.
- Skinny fit. Ultralight skinny fit jeans fit, so closely they’re often described as “painted on.”
- Slim fit. Within a brand, slim fit is never narrower than skinny fit in the seat, but remains tight enough to show off legs and hips.
- Regular fit. This is the traditional jeans fit. Regular fit pants are supposed to leave 2” to 3” slack between the material and your actual dimensions. You’ll also see regular fit called “classic fit” or “original fit”
- Relaxed fit. This is the baggiest seat width a brand makes. It’s also called “loose fit” by some brands. Sometimes called “boyfriend jeans,” although boyfriends sometimes fall between regular and relaxed.
There are also several types of leg shape to consider:
- Tapered. Taper fit pants fit close at the ankle, having a leg opening that gradually tightens from the knee down.
- Straight leg. Straight fit pants have a knee measurement that’s about the same size as the leg opening measurement.
- Bootcut. Boot-cut jeans have a leg opening that’s larger than the knee’s to accommodate—you guessed it—boots!
- Capri: Even tighter than tapered and only three-quarter-length in the legs, this classic cut fits tightly at calf and ankle.
- Flares. Legs open even wider than bootcut, flaring out into a bell shape, hence dubbed “bell-bottoms” in days of yore.
Find women’s jeans cuts here.
What does 32×32 mean in jeanspeak?
32×32 means 32 inches at the waist and 32 inches length of jeans (inseam). Find out here how to measure yourself at home for the best fitting jeans or consult this jeans sizing chart for men or women to learn your corresponding US, UK, or international sizes.
How do I convert pants sizes to jeans sizes?
Men’s jeans sizes consist of two numbers: the first number is waist size, the second is leg length, e.g., 34×30. Most pants sizes use the same system, but some brands use different sizes like S, M, L, or US Sizes. Refer to this chart to convert.
Women’s jeans sizes go by the same two numbers (e.g., 32×30 means waist length of 32 inches, leg length of 30 inches). But women’s pant sizes go by standard women’s waist sizes like 0, 2, 4, 6, etc. or numbers like 27, 28, 29, 30, etc. Consult this pant size conversion chart.
What size is a 28 in jeans?
A waist size 28 is normally equivalent to a misses size 6 or international size M. For some brands, fits or cuts this might defer though and could also be a 4 or an 8.
How can I measure my jeans size at home?
Holding it level with the floor, closely encircle your waistline where you normally wear a belt and measure in inches. Note you’re the waist circumference you come up with because this corresponds to W, the width of the waistband. Then measure your inner leg length from crotch to ankle (or wherever you want your jeans to end). Use this chart to convert the measurement into size.
Alternatively, try this clever if simple method for finding your ideal jeans measurements at home: Break out a pair of your favorite, perfectly fitting jeans. Zip, button and lay the jeans flat on the floor. Solve for W by measuring inches across the top of the waist, then doubling to ascertain your waist measurement. Then simply measure inseam from crotch to leg to find the correct L (length of jeans).
What is the difference between jeans and pants sizes?
Try our easy guide on how to measure your jeans size and convert those measurements into the US, UK, Euro and international jeans sizes here, and a chart for pants sizes here. Use our jeans size chart to convert any standard pant size into a jeans size, for both men and women.
How do I find my size in jeans?
Jeans sizes are based on two measurements: waist circumference, or waist width (W) and length of the leg (L). The waist/length ratio is given in inches (in). For example: a waist size of 32 inches and leg length of 30 inches is a jeans size 32×30. Some brands also use alpha (as in “alphabetical”) sizing such as XS, S, M, L, XL, or US standard pants sizes, referred to in this conversion chart.