With this easy-to-understand shoe size chart overview, you will find all shoe sizes in just seconds. Shoe size charts for women, men or kids are carefully collated for you. So you will never have the hassle of returning shoes again.
Theory and practice of shoe size charts
The shoe size tables are based on the Brannock system, Mondopoint and the following DIN, ISO and UNE standards. German Standard DIN 66074:1975 (Shoe sizes; width grading for ladies’ and gentlemen’s footwear), Spanish Standard UNE 59850:1998 and International Standard ISO 9407:1991 (Footwear, Designation of sizes, Main Characteristics of the continental system), will be replaced by ISO/CD 9407.
Please note that there are major differences between shoe sizes of individual brands. Although there are theoretically standards, many manufacturers do not comply with them in practice. In addition, many machines are not able to produce accurately. So it is possible that the same shoe size of a shoe model may differ.
Shoe Size Chart Women
|Inch||UK Shoe Size||US Shoe Size||Euro Shoe Size||French Shoe Size||Italian Shoe Size|
You will take many steps with your shoes – the right fit is therefore important. Take your time and check your future shoes carefully. Try on shoes of different brands. Because some shoe brands tend to precipitate further, make narrower. Each also has different wearing characteristics in terms of roll-off, suspension, etc. Not enough: Get dressed briefly and just take a few steps. Wear the shoe for a long time and walk up and down in the shop. Some shops now offer a small running course with gradients and different floor coverings. Make the most of it!
Shoe Size Chart Men
|Inch||UK Shoe Size||US Shoe Size||Euro Shoe Size||French Shoe Size||Italian Shoe Size|
How to read the table above? That’s simple! Measure your feet easily with these instructions. Then remember your foot length in inches and choose the appropriate size. If your shoe length is between two values, it is best to round up. For example, a length of 10.75 inches corresponds to an EU size 44 or a US size 10.5 and a UK size 10.
If you need help with converting US Sizes to UK or EU sizes and vice versa, this article should help you.
Shoe Size Chart Kids
|Inch||Age||US Shoe Size||UK Shoe Size||EU Shoe Size||CM|
|6.625||Small Kid||10.5 C||9.5||27||16.8|
|6.75||Small Kid||11 C||10||28||17.1|
|7||Small Kid||11.5 C||10.5||29||17.8|
|7.125||Small Kid||12 C||11||30||18.1|
|7.25||Small Kid||12.5 C||11.5||30||18.4|
|7.5||Small Kid||13 C||12||31||19.1|
|7.625||Small Kid||13.5 C||12.5||31||19.4|
|5.75||Small Kid||1 Y||13||32||19.7|
|8||Small Kid||1.5 Y||14||33||20.3|
|8.125||Small Kid||2 Y||1||33||20.6|
|8.25||Small Kid||2.5 Y||1.5||34||21|
|8.5||Small Kid||3 Y||2||34||21.6|
|8.625||Big Kid||3.5 Y||2.5||35||21.9|
|8.75||Big Kid||4 Y||3||36||22.2|
|9||Big Kid||4.5 Y||3.5||36||22.9|
|9.125||Big Kid||5 Y||4||37||23.2|
|9.25||Big Kid||5.5 Y||4.5||37||23.5|
|9.5||Big Kid||6 Y||5||38||24.1|
|9.625||Big Kid||6.5 Y||5||38||24.4|
|9.75||Big Kid||7 Y||6||39||24.8|
Children’s shoes that are too small can have serious long-term health consequences. According to scientific studies, however, at least 50 percent of children wear shoes that are too small. Children’s feet are by no means just a miniature version of adult feet, because they are still growing. Children’s feet are softer, more flexible and not yet so sensitive. Only over the years do they develop their full functionality.
For more information on children’s shoe sizes, click here.
UK + Europe Shoe Size Conversion Chart
Important: There is no uniform English shoe size, US sizes and UK sizes are clearly different from each other. With this shoe size table, you can convert your Euro-size or US shoe size into a UK-size. In addition, you can measure the foot length and then simply read the corresponding size in the line.
Regarding Euro-Sizes: In the past, France, Italy, and Germany each had their own shoe size. The shoe sizes were very different from each other. Today there is a uniform shoe size for the whole of Europe. The shoe sizes are therefore valid for the following countries: Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Austria, Germany, Poland, Portugal, France, Greece, Italy, and Sweden.
(To learn about Asian sizes, click here.)
US Shoe Size Conversion
Most international shoe size charts are based on the Brannock system. It is used in America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand Zealand for men and women sizes.
The Brannock system can be applied to all different types of footwear: Boots, Sandals, Sneakers, Running Shoes or Loafers. It was invented by Charles F. Brannock, who had developed a device for measuring the length and width of a foot in inches in the 1920s.
Foot length is used as the basis for this system, and two barleycorns are added to the shoe number. There are different calculation formulas in this system for women’s, men’s and children’s shoe sizes, and each group has its own zero point. Most other systems do not take gender into account.
UK Shoe Size Conversion
The UK uses the Barleycorn system. The scale starts at 12 barleycorns, the smallest number, which is known as children’s size 0. After 13, the scale moves on to adult size 1, which is equivalent to 26 barleycorns. This system also calculates by means of a formula, which in this case uses the length of the “lasts”. Please note whether the foot was measured in inches or in centimeters.
Two formulas are available: one to calculate children’s sizes, and the other for adults. For purposes of calculation, the bar length is used in inches as a basis. Make sure you measure your feet in inches or centimeters. The system used in the UK differs from the US system as well as that of the EU (EURO). In this chart, you can find the correct correspondents to an English one. In contrast to the European shoe system, you will also find half numbers here.
Convert Men’s to Women’s Shoe Sizes and vice versa
If you want to convert women’s to men’s in the U.S., this is a piece of cake. Just subtract 2 figures from an American women’s shoe size to get the corresponding men’s shoe size.
Respectively add 2 figures to a men’s shoe size number to get the women’s size. For sneakers, the difference is normally 1.5 figures. It gets more complicated if you want to convert for example European men’s shoe sizes to US or UK women’s. As always, this is not an exact science and it may well be that the men to women conversion works very differently for your preferred brand.
What can be said is that men’s shoes are generally a bit wider than women’s. So, you may want to choose men’s shoes a bit smaller if you are a woman.
|Women's US shoe size||Men's US shoe size||Women's UK shoe size||Men's UK shoe size||Women's Euro shoe size||Men's Euro shoe size|
Convert Children’s Sizes into Women’s Shoe Size
Real bargain hunters have already figured that the children’s section can hold really great shoes often up to size 10 but they have been “declared” youth shoes. Please note that kids shoes in the US are clustered into C for Child and Y for Youth. You will most likely find suitable shoes in the youth sizes as they go down to approx. 8 inches.
But what length do you wear in children’s shoes? With the chart below, you can convert for example men’s shoe into youth shoes. It helps you answer the question what a women’s 7 is in children’s sizes.
If you wear women’s shoes you can use this simple calculation: subtract 2 from your US number and you get the corresponding youth extent. E.g. a US women’s 9 would be a youth 7.
For a conversion from youth shoes to men’s, you need to subtract roughly 0.5 figures, meaning that a US 7 would equal a youth length of 6.5.
|Foot length (Inch)||Women's US shoe size||Men's US shoe size||Youth US shoe size|
Shoe Size Converter (Inch)
Use this converter to calculate the following sizes: EU, German (DE), British (UK), American (US), Brazilian, Japanese (JPN), Korean size, Australian (AU), Brannock and Mondopoint.
You can enter inch or centimeters to calculate the perfect fit. You can use this sizing tool not only for adults but also for children. Use this guide on how to measure the length of your feet. or the shoe size conversion charts further down on this page.
Not always a guaranteed fit
The biggest problem with buying shoes for women or men is that although sizes are theoretically standardized, each country calculates a little differently.
Many manufacturers also deviate slightly from the standards. Some brands prefer to make shoes that are a bit more comfortable or also suitable for wider feet, so they secretly increase the measurements. Brand X shoes are usually smaller than those of brand Y, and differences in production also occur.
Due to the fact that the materials used (fabric, leather, leatherette, rubber, etc.) are very flexible, producing shoes to exact specifications is very difficult – or simply too expensive for the manufacturers. So, make sure that you try different sizes!
Another big problem: the extent of a pair of shoes doesn’t only depend on the length of the foot: the shape of the foot is also important. If the shape of the foot varies from the norm (wide feet, fleshy feet, high arches, flat feet, over-pronation or splayed feet) then a different shoe largeness is necessary.
While foot length is observed in almost all systems, the width of the feet is usually neglected. There are big differences due to the fact that country-specific formulas are used. In addition to the reference value for length, the unit used and the zero point also play a big role.
Average Shoe Size
Interesting fact: the average shoe size for men in the U.S. is 10.5 and for women, it is 9. The average U.K. shoe length for men is 9 and 6 for women. Only 40 years ago, our feet were smaller (by an average of two sizes!). The cause for this might be the growing obesity and the feet compensating through spreading.
Shoe Width Conversion
In addition to the usual shoe largeness specifications regarding the length of the shoe, some brands also indicate the width of their shoes. This is because shoes that are too narrow or too wide can lead to foot problems. While everybody knows their own shoe size. Hardly anybody knows their shoe width, even though there can be huge variations. Many people require shoes with an extra wide fit.
To determine, what foot width you have, place your foot on a piece of paper on the floor. It’s best to ask someone to draw the outline of your foot with a pen. Repeat the same procedure with your other foot. Then use a measuring tape or a ruler to measure the widest portion of both drawings. Subtract 1/8 of an inch from the largest number. This number is your foot width.
And how does the foot width now translate into shoe spread? You can find different shoe width scales on the market. It is either indicated by the marks M (for medium) or W (for wide) or there are classifications of the shoe width from AAA (smallest width) to EEE (widest width).
Unfortunately, there is no uniform standard here and you have to look at the manufacturer’s website to see how many inches foot width i.e. a BBB corresponds to.
Normally, however, “medium” corresponds to a “D” for men and a “B” for women. Extra wide fitting shoes are usually marked with E to EEEEEE (for ladies) or F to H (for men).
Just think how many steps you take in a single day. Our feet are the probably the most heavily stressed parts of our bodies and a lot less robust than many people think.
Footgear that is too tight isn’t just uncomfortable, they may also be harmful footwear. Having the right footwear with a proper sizing plays an important role in preventing painful deformities and other orthopedic problems such as “hammer” toes or a twisted big toe. Also, it is very important to choose the right footwear for the right occasion: while Sandals are great in Summer, they are often not suited for longer walks.
Unfortunately, different size systems are in use worldwide, so a comparison and simple overview of the different sizes is therefore difficult. The sizing systems in different countries only have one thing in common: The basis is always the foot length.
For menswear or womenswear: Most size systems are based on foot length. Depending on the system, this can be the average length of the foot, the inner length of the shoe or the length of the “lasts” used to make shoes.
The length of the lasts is the simplest for the manufacturers, so this is often used. A “comfort allowance” is added to the length of the feet before the size is calculated. In the US, this is usually 0.5 inches (EU = 1.5 centimeters), but varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
- Paris point: A “Paris point” or “Parisian stitch” is most often used in Continental Europe. A Parisian stitch corresponds to 2/3 centimeters and there is a difference of 6.667 millimeters between two stitches. In contrast to US or UK, the Parisian stitch does not have intermediate numbers such as e.g. 9 1/2 or 10 1/2. Since there are no half figures, the conversion of European into international sizes is often very difficult, because a length smaller or larger can be designed due to rounding differences. For this reason and depending on the manufacturer, this can result in great differences, since different reference values and varying increments can lead to considerable deviations in size. Some manufacturers therefore also specify an extra millimeter size of the shoelace length. If one knows the length of their feet, they should follow this information. French and Italian footwear sizes are based on the European size (EURO). However, the shoes are a little smaller. Therefore, you should buy slightly BIGGER in France or Italy.
- Barleycorn: Another unit of measurement goes by the name of Barleycorn. A “barleycorn” is a third of an inch – 8.46 mm. This system also has half numbers and is used in the United Kingdom and the United States.
- Metric system: Metric measurements are shown in millimeters and centimeters. The shoes are usually scaled in steps of 5 mm. Metric sizes are used predominantly in the Mondopoint system and in Japan.
- If you want to convert women’s to men’s shoe sizes in the US, just subtract 2 figures from an American women’s shoe size to get the corresponding men’s shoe size. Conversely, add 2 figures to a men’s shoe size number to get the women’s size. However, for sneakers, the difference is normally 1.5 figures.
- To convert women’s shoe size to a youth size, subtract 2 from your women’s US size number. For example, a US women’s size 9 would be a youth size 7. To convert men’s shoe size to a youth size, you need to subtract roughly 0.5 figures. A men’s US size 7 would be a youth size 6.5.
How do I know if a shoe fits?
Remove the footbed: place it on the floor and put your foot on top of it. You will be amazed! Because it provides first indications of how well the shoe fits in length. This means that the width of the foot cannot be deduced one to one, as the interior of the shoes is usually wider than the footbed.
Check the front area: The front area is particularly important. It may happen that you put on footgear of your size, but they are too tight in the front area. In this case, the height above the instep may be insufficient. The leather usually yields slightly. But, of course, you should be able to take right off in your favorite shoes. There should be approximately one inch of space between your toes and the tip of your footwear.
Ball and heel: The shoe must sit firmly at the ball and heel. On the heel, you should have a minimum amount of slipping – footgear that rides up and down when you walk is too large. Especially with higher heels, the heel must not wiggle, otherwise, you are in danger of tipping over. A shoe that fits, holds the foot firmly, especially in the ball area, the widest part of the foot.
US Size 5 in EU and UK Sizes
In general, a size 5 in US men’s shoe sizing has a foot length of 9 inches or about 23 centimeters. The same shoe size for women, on the other hand, has a foot length of 8.625 inches or about 22 centimeters. However, exact measurements may vary depending on the shoe brand.
The equivalent of a U.S. size 5 for men’s shoes in European sizing is a size 36.5. For women’s shoes, the American size 5 is the same as an EU size 35. When converted to UK shoe sizes, a U.S. size 5 for men and women is labeled as a size 4.5 and a size 2, respectively.
To learn how to easily convert your shoe size to different international sizes, click here.
Celebrities known to wear size 5 footwear include Christina Aguilera, Kylie Minogue, Rachel Bilson, and Christina Ricci.
US Size 6 in EU and UK Sizes
A US size 6, when it concerns men’s footwear, means you have a foot length of 9.25 inches or 23.5 centimeters. In the case of women, on the other hand, wearing a size 6 means having a foot length of 9 inches or about 23 centimeters. However, generic measurements of shoe sizes do not always match with specific brands. For example, a US size 6 in Nike is equal to 9.375 inches or 23.8 centimeters. FILA’s men’s size 6 is slightly smaller at 9.25 inches.
Actresses such as Reese Witherspoon, Demi Moore, and Courtney Cox are supposedly a size 6 in U.S. shoe sizing standards.
If converted to UK sizing, an American women’s shoe size 6 is equivalent to a UK size 3. For men’s shoes, it’s UK shoe size 5.5. In Euro sizing, a US size 6 is a size 37.5 and a size 36 for men and women’ footwear, respectively. Interestingly, there is also a size 6 in U.S. clothing sizes. For women’s clothes, a size 6 in the United States is a size 8 in the United Kingdom.
More in-depth information about women’s clothing sizes is available here.
US Size 7 in EU and UK Sizes
The foot length of U.S. size 7 for men’s shoes, in general, is 9.625 inches or about 24.5 centimeters. In women’s shoe sizes, a size 7 has a foot length of 9.25 inches or 23.5 centimeters. However, these measurements are not universal for all shoe brands. In the case of Converse, for example, a men’s size 7 has a foot length of 9.8 inches or 24.9 centimeters. Their size 7 has around the same measurements as a size 7.5 in Nike.
If you want to know your shoe size in popular brands like Converse, read our article on sneaker sizes.
A US size 7 has equivalent sizes in European and UK sizing systems. For men’s shoes, it’s the same as an EU size 38.5 and a UK size 6.5. For women’s footwear, an American size 7 is a size 4 in the United Kingdom and a size 38 by European sizing standards.
Celebrities known to wear size 7 shoes reportedly include Kim Kardashian, Nicki Minaj, Jessica Simpson, and Rachel McAdams.
US Size 8 in EU and UK Sizes
If you’re a size 8 in the US shoe sizing system for men’s footwear, then that means you can wear shoes with a foot length of 10 inches or 25.4 centimeters. If you’re a woman, a size 8 translates to a foot length of 9.625 inches or about 24.5 centimeters. However, these are merely generic approximations and there will be slight variations per brand. For instance, a woman’s size 8, according to Steve Madden’s shoe size chart, has a foot length of 9.5 inches or 24.1 centimeters. But in Zara, that’s only a size 7 ½.
Famous actresses like Barbra Streisand, Emma Stone, and Michelle Pfeiffer are known to wear size 8 shoes.
The equivalent of a U.S. size 8 for men’s shoes in European sizing is a size 39.5. For women’s shoes, the American size 8 is the same as an EU size 38. When converted to UK shoe sizes, a U.S. size 8 for men and women is labeled as a size 7.5 and a size 5, respectively. In the case of clothing sizes, particularly for women, an American size 8 might fit the same as a UK size 10.
US Size 9 in EU and UK Sizes
In general, a size 9 in US men’s shoe sizing has a foot length of 10.25 inches or about 26 centimeters. The same shoe size for women, on the other hand, has a foot length of 10 inches or about 25.4 centimeters. Exact measurements, however, may vary from one brand to the next. FILA’s size 9 for men’s shoes also has a foot length of 10.25 inches. In Nike, a size 9 is 10.375 inches or 26.35 centimeters in length.
For more information on shoe sizes for popular brands like Nike, read our article on sneaker sizes.
If converted to UK sizing, an American women’s shoe size 9 is equivalent to a UK size 6. For men’s shoes, it’s UK shoe size 8.5. In Euro sizing, a US size 9 is a size 41 and a size 39 for men and women’ footwear, respectively.
Among American women, a U.S. size 9 is one of two of the average shoe sizes (the other is size 8.5) in the country. Celebrities with this particular shoe size reportedly include Sandra Bullock, Blake Lively, and Julia Roberts.
US Size 10 in EU and UK Sizes
An American size 10 is one of two known average shoe sizes for men in the United States. For men’s shoes, a US size 10 has a foot length of 10.625 inches or about 27 centimeters. For women, the foot length of this size is 10.25 inches or about 26 centimeters. It must be noted that measurements may differ per brand. For example, a size 10 pair of Steve Madden shoes for women has a foot length of 10.20 inches. A pair with the same size label from Zara, on the other hand, is around a quarter of an inch longer at 10.5 inches. Its better equivalent would be Zara’s size 9 (10.20 inches).
The equivalent of a U.S. size 10 for men’s shoes in European sizing is a size 43. For women’s shoes, the American size 10 is the same as an EU size 40. When converted to UK shoe sizes, a U.S. size 10 for men and women is labeled as a size 9.5 and a size 7, respectively. Interestingly, there is also a size 10 in U.S. women’s clothing sizes. If converted to UK clothing sizing standards, its equivalent UK women’s size is 12.
If you want to learn more about women’s clothing sizes and conversion charts, click here.
Shoe care tips
- Wear your footgear only one day long: Closed leather boots like Oxfords should dry 24 hours after wearing them all day long. Otherwise, they widen and white sweat marks appear.
- Always open and close yourlaces and use a shoehorn: Opening the laces correctly and using a shoehorn prevents damage to the heel area.
- Shoetrees: Made of untreated wood are preferable as they absorb moisture from the shoe. Be careful not to use oversized shoe trees, as damp leather will stretch.
- Impregnating: Impregnation should be carried out before the first use of any other care product. This means that the impregnation can act optimally. Ideally, impregnate 1-2 times directly after purchase.
- A proper shower: If leather shoes are particularly dirty or white sweat marks have formed, only proper washing can help. To do this, wash from the outside with warm water. If available, with leather soap. Then let it dry slowly. Then treat with suitable care products.
- Allow to dry slowly: Stuff shoes with newspaper and let them dry slowly to avoid cracks in the leather. Do not place wet leather boots under the heater.
- Polishing: After the care products are dry, smooth leather can be polished with a horsehair brush or a soft cotton cloth.
- Care cream or better wax for smooth leather shoes? The longer the cream or wax absorbs, the more work-intensive the polishing is, but the shinier the shoes shine afterwards. The cream absorbs faster and provides a silky matt shine. Wax adheres better to the surface and thus allows a stronger shine. Waxed shoes should also be cared for from time to time with creams, as the cream penetrates deeper into the leather.
- Cleaning the inner sole: An inner sole made of leather can be cleaned with warm water and leather soap. Then dry it slowly. This avoids unpleasant foot odor.
- Loops and holes: Treating them with Vaseline once in a while makes them last longer.
- Soles: Leather soles can be treated with leather oil. It is important to take care that the seams and the edge are left off, as the oil can solubilize adhesives.
- Pro tip for cleaning sneakers: Scratches on rubber surfaces are best cleaned with a nail varnish remover and cotton cloth. Toothpaste and a toothbrush are suitable for rough surfaces, for example at the bottom of the sole. Simply scrub over the dirty areas with a toothbrush.
- Storage: During the seasonal break, winter or summer footwear should be kept dry and airy, for example in a cotton bag. Caution: Keeping them in an airtight box may cause mold.
At a Glance
- To determine your shoe size, measure your foot length by placing the foot on a sheet of paper. Mark the circumference (keep the pencil straight!). Then measure the longest distance with a ruler and convert using one of our calculators.
- Most international size charts are based on the Brannock system. It is used in America, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand for men and women sizes. Sizing is also dependent on Mondopoint, DIN, ISO, and UNE standards.
- Though there are theoretically standards to follow in shoe sizing, there are notable differences across individual brands as many manufacturers do not comply with them in practice. Therefore, the same shoe size may have a different fit per brand.
- Children’s shoes that are too small can have serious long-term health consequences. According to scientific studies, at least 50 percent of children wear shoes that are too small.
- Conversion Charts
- Euro Shoe Sizes
- US Shoe Sizes
- UK Shoe Sizes
- Shoe Sizes by Inch
- Shoe Size Conversion
- Shoe Size Charts