UK sizes in both shoes and clothing is among the most-widely used sizing standard in the world, but that doesn’t mean identifying the perfect size for you is easy. The UK and Australia pretty much have the same metrics used for measurement, but the rest of the world have different ways of measuring sizes.
When you’re Asian trying to buy clothes carrying UK sizes, or for Americans, who have always thought UK and US sizes are alost the same, this guide will provide you comprehensive details on everything about UK sizes to make it easier for you to convert one size to the other, and still arrive with the best fitting apparel.
Understanding UK Sizes
The UK sizing is unique on its own, although most commonwealth countries including Australia, also follow the same standard of UK sizes. Italy also has the same standard. The entire Europ, however, has a different standard of sizes in both clothing and footwear. For children, UK sizes are mainly based on the height and other measurements, not age.
For example, if a woman buys a jersey top in size 6 (or small) in US sizing, she might have to buy a size 10 in UK. But when she buys shoes, she will have to choose a smaller size than her normal US size. Confusing right? As far as men’s clothing is concerned both UK and US sizes are almost the same. But sizes of shoes for men are different in both countries. Same rules apply to footwear of women and children.
UK Sizes Clothing
Clothes following the UK sizing standard, usually determines the size considering the measurement of the bust, waist and hip. For women’s clothes in the UK, they follow a standard measure called BS 3666, which was introduced in 1982. For men’s clothing, it is called BS 6185 which is also based on the bust, waist and hip measures.
UK Clothes Sizes – Women (General)
|US / Internat. Size||UK Size||Euro Size||French Size||Italian Size|
UK Clothes Sizes – Men (General)
Size of men’s clothes is not so different in the UK standard compared to the US standards in general, although depending on the brand, there might still be some differences. It is still recommended them to always check with the manufacturer the sizing standard they follow to make converting sizes easier and more accurate.
|US / Internat. Size||UK Size||Euro Size||French Size||Italian Size|
UK Sizes Children (General)
Understanding the size of kids can be very tricky. You will have to take both their age and height into consideration when buying clothes especially those followig the UK sizing. These sizes are based on generic measures regardless of the children’s the gender.
Find children sizes here.
UK Shoe Sizes
Size of shoes in the United Kingdom is based on the length of the ‘wooden last’ used to make the shoes. The last, which is also made of materials other than wood, is typically longer than the foot; (heel to toe length about 13 to 17 mm more).
Find more info about UK shoe sizes here.
UK Shoe Size Chart Women
|Foot Length (Inches)||US Women's||UK Women's|
|7 2 ⁄ 3||2||0|
|7 5 ⁄ 6||2.5||0.5|
|8 1 ⁄ 6||3.5||1.5|
|8 1 ⁄ 3||4||2|
|8 1 ⁄ 2||4.5||2.5|
|8 2 ⁄ 3||5||3|
|8 5 ⁄ 6||5.5||3.5|
|9 1 ⁄ 6||6.5||4.5|
|9 1 ⁄ 3||7||5|
|9 1 ⁄ 2||7.5||5.5|
|9 2 ⁄ 3||8||6|
|9 5 ⁄ 6||8.5||6.5|
|10 1 ⁄ 6||9.5||7.5|
|10 1 ⁄ 3||10||8|
|10 1 ⁄ 2||10.5||8.5|
|10 2 ⁄ 3||11||9|
|10 5 ⁄ 6||11.5||9.5|
|11 1 ⁄ 6||12.5||10.5|
|11 1 ⁄ 3||13||11|
|11 1 ⁄ 2||13.5||11.5|
|11 2 ⁄ 3||14||12|
|11 5 ⁄ 6||14.5||12.5|
|12 1 ⁄ 6||15.5||13.5|
|12 1 ⁄ 3||16||14|
|12 1 ⁄ 2||16.5||14.5|
|12 2 ⁄ 3||17||15|
UK Shoe Size Chart Men
|Foot Length (Inches)||US Men's||UK Men's|
|7 2 ⁄ 3||0.5||0|
|7 5 ⁄ 6||1||0.5|
|8 1 ⁄ 6||2||1.5|
|8 1 ⁄ 3||2.5||2|
|8 1 ⁄ 2||3||2.5|
|8 2 ⁄ 3||3.5||3|
|8 5 ⁄ 6||4||3.5|
|9 1 ⁄ 6||5||4.5|
|9 1 ⁄ 3||5.5||5|
|9 1 ⁄ 2||6||5.5|
|9 2 ⁄ 3||6.5||6|
|9 5 ⁄ 6||7||6.5|
|10 1 ⁄ 6||8||7.5|
|10 1 ⁄ 3||8.5||8|
|10 1 ⁄ 2||9||8.5|
|10 2 ⁄ 3||9.5||9|
|10 5 ⁄ 6||10||9.5|
|11 1 ⁄ 6||11||10.5|
|11 1 ⁄ 3||11.5||11|
|11 1 ⁄ 2||12||11.5|
|11 2 ⁄ 3||12.5||12|
|11 5 ⁄ 6||13||12.5|
|12 1 ⁄ 6||14||13.5|
|12 1 ⁄ 3||14.5||14|
|12 1 ⁄ 2||15||14.5|
|12 2 ⁄ 3||15.5||15|
UK Shoe Size Chart Children
|UK Size||US Size|
How to Measure Your UK Size
Before trying to convert your sizes to UK sizing standards, it is a must to find out your most accurate measurement first. You might have an idea of what your size is, but making sure your size is correct will save you tons. Most people who think they are wearing the right size are often mistaken. Many usually get a larger size, while some mistakenly go for a smaller size.
You might want to get yourself measured with a tape in order to find your correct size. Then use a conversion chart to find your UK sizes.
In order to find out your correct size you might need the measurement of the circumference of your chest or breast (if you are a woman). This is measured in inches by wrapping the tape measure around the widest part of your chest/breast. This measurement will typically be useful for jackets, suits, tops and shirts.
Another important measurement is your neck size. Simply wrap the tape measure around your neck, and add an extra half inch to the number to get the measurement fast.
The measurement of your waist and the length of the legs are needed to figure out the size of your jeans and trousers. This can be done by wrapping a tape measure around the waist at the navel. For women, these measurements are taken at the widest part of the hips.
Knowing these measurements and converting them to find out your US sizes will be very helpful once you start shopping. Once you know your correct US size, it is also easier to find out your international sizes including UK’s.
Remember: In UK sizes are usually measured in centimeters rather than in inches, which is common in US.
Things to Remember About UK Sizes
- When converting the US size to UK size, rules are different for men, women and children, especially when it comes to clothing.
- Women have to go for bigger sizes for clothing, but smaller sizes for shoes.
- Men can buy the same size of clothes they buy in usual US sizing. But they will have to consider smaller sizes of shoes using the UK standard.
- For kids, the size differences in clothing are not very noticeable up to certain ages. But rules change depending on the gender if the kid is above 10 years older as certain measurements like chest (for girls) tend to be more prominent than guys.
- All the size charts and conversion techniques can help you find the ideal size. But trying out the clothes and shoes before buying them is still the best way to find the perfect fit. Different manufacturers after all, uses different sizing standards.
Tips When Buying in UK Sizes
For clothes :
- If you are a woman go for higher size than your US size when buying clothes. If you are a US 4, in UK size, you will be a UK 8.
- If you are a man, go for the same size when buying clothes. For example, a size US 30-32 is the same as a UK 30-32.
- If you are buying clothes for your kids less than 8 years old, the US size would be almost similar in UK sizes.
- If your kid is older than eight years old, go for one size lesser than the US size. Sizes by this time will also be different for boys and girls.
- If you are woman looking for shoes, make sure you choose a smaller UK size than your US size. For example, if you are a US 4, in UK size, you will be a UK 2.
- If you are buying shoes for men, you might have to also choose smaller size than your usual US size by .5 or by using conversion charts. If you are a US 6.5, buy a UK 6.
- For kids shoes, UK sizes are also generally smaller than US standard sizes.